The resources list on this page is evolving. Please let us know if you have some recommendations to be included in this list. Contact the LPS CPD-lead at email@example.com to suggest topics or if you would like to support this initiative or contribute material.
If you are a member of the CIPR, you can access and contribute to more resources in the Members’ only area of the CIPR website.
Thanks for all the suggestions to the resources material and CPD topics to consider for the CIPR scheme.
CIPR CPD Scheme
CPD scheme and requirements – packed full of resources and articles to help you plan your development. Scheme is open to all members.
CIPR is to make ethics a compulsory part of CIPR CPD from March 2015. More information on why and PR ethics (September 2014).
Books and publications selection
‘Influence for Impact’ research report findings This report was published in October 2015 and is the culmination of research by the CIPR’s Local Public Services Group with Manchester Metropolitan University into the challenges communicators in the sector face in the age of austerity.
‘PR Stack’ books 1 & 2 on modernising the communications workflow. The second book was published in October 2015 and features a chapter on using video by LPS CPD-lead Abha Thakor MCIPR.
Chartered Public Relations is an anthology of modern-day public relations best practice from Chartered Public Relations practitioners. It was published in 2015 and addresses the most current discussions on topics such as qualification of results in public relations, internal communications, freedom of information, global communication and more.
‘PR and Communications in Local Government & Public Services’ book – by John Brown FCIPR, Pat Gaudin FCIPR Chartered PR Practitioner, and Wendy Moran MCIPR. Wendy is the Chair of the CIPR LPS Group for 2015. This book, published in July 2013, features examples from communicators across the UK. Members of the CIPR LPS committee and other senior communicators provided input into this practical reference guide. It aims to support professional public relations communicators in their work to create effective and meaningful communication for both local democracy and the planning and delivery of quality services.
‘Share This’ – a practical handbook to the biggest changes taking place in the media and its professions by the CIPR’s Social Media Panel. The book covers areas including media and public relations industry, planning, social networks, online media relations, monitoring and measurement, skills, industry change and the future of the industry.
#PR2015 e-book by the CIPR on predictions for public relations and communications published for the start of 2015. The e-book includes a chapter on local public service communications.
A slideshare presentation for the CIPR series on PR in 2014 – by Ashley Scott-Wilcox FCIPR (2013)
Place branding resources
- Authenticity is key in developing a successful place brand – interview with Polly Cziok MCIPR (Feb 2018)
- Hackney – A Place for Everyone campaign – case study by Polly Cziok MCIPR (October 2017). The campaign won Bronze in the LGA’s public sector communications excellence awards.
- Developing Place Brand – a selection of local authority presentations featured by the LGA
Selection of articles on local public sector communications
- ‘Good Care’ campaign, Hertfordshire County Council – case study by Lindsay Coulson (December 2016) on the council’s communications work to support recruitment of carers. The campaign won Platinum in the LGA’s public sector communications excellence awards
- Digital neanderthals, marketing and the shiny new things – blog by Simon Wakeman MCIPR (June 2014)
- Video on government communications (GCS South West event) – Alex Aiken, Sean Larkins from Cabinet Office and Polly Cziok from CIPR speak about the day’s main themes – digital, evaluation, campaigning skills, professionalism and continuing professional development (October 2013)
- Comms lessons from the Olympic park – by Polly Cziok MCIPR (PR Week, May 2013)
- Public sector PR and recruitment needs – by Polly Cziok MCIPR, Chair of CIPR LPS (PR week, June 2013)
- Local government comms value – by Polly Cziok MCIPR, Chair of LPS (PR Week, January 2013)
- Demonstrating the value of PR to the British public – by Polly Cziok MCIPR, Chair of CIPR LPS (PR Week, October 2012)
- Make change innovative – by Ashley Scott Wilcox FCIPR, CIPR LPS Committee (April 2012)
- Challenge of local public sector communications – Simon Wakeham MCIPR (September 2011)
- ‘Top tips: improving local government communications’ – Guardian (Nov 2011)
- ‘The day that public services proved their worth’ – by Robert Webb MCIPR (PR Week, June 2010)
- ‘Communicating with the Trip Advisor generation’ – by Peter Holt MCIPR (PR Week, February 2010)
- New media in public sector communications – presentation on Slideshare – Simon Wakeham MCIPR for the CIPR LPS Conference 2009
Evaluation and measurement
- ‘Evaluating Public Relations’ book by Tom Watson FCIPR and Paul Nobile FCIPR
- Google analytics for public relations and communications – Slideshare presentation by Andrew Smith MCIPR (9/2014)
- ‘Digitopolis or dictionopolis?’ by Mandy Pearse MCIPR (11/2014)
Social media and public sector
- Social media and local public services research by BDO (2014)
- Seven tips for using Facebook if you work in the public sector – by Helen Reynolds MCIPR (12/2014)
- Are you getting the social balance right? by Dan Slee (12/2014)
- ‘Social media for social good’ – Food Standards Agency case study. Useful CPD article by James Baker published on comms2point0 (12/2013)
Local Government Association (LGA)
- Comms Hub – Communications Support from the LGA
- LGA Comms Strategy 2017/2018 – 2019/2020
- Strategic communications in local government – challenges and opportunities thought piece
- GCS Local Campaigns Team
- Government Communications Plan
- Future of Public Sector Communications – includes link to first annual Government Communications Plan (GCS 2015)
- Guide to Local Government Communications in Scotland – policy body LGiU Scotland (Dec 2018)
- Resources on Recycling for Local Authority Communicators – WRAP
LPS News archive
Print versions are no longer produced for environmental reasons.
- August 2014 edition of the LPS e-newsletter (archive – final edition)
Career case studies in local government communications
- Simon Wakeman – featured case study on the CIPR website from Simon’s time in local government. Simon is a member and CIPR Accredited Practitioner.
Do you have a suggestion for a career case study which could appear here or in our members’ area?
© 2016-2019 CIPR LPS